This was my write-up that won fifth place in the feature writing category during the Division Schools Press Conference from September 30 - October 2, 2009 at our school.
October 1, 2009
Dear Mom,
Honestly, I do not really know how to start this letter, but I thought of writing just to ease your worries about me and my family here in Manila.
I know you and Dad have seen what happened last Saturday. It was just a very normal and mundane day. That is, until the rains poured hard and turned Metro Manila into a basin of water.
We were really terrified. Rain started to pour at around 8 a.m. and it never stopped from that moment on. Water began to fill up the streets, until it entered our house. We climbed up to the second floor, to no avail. We had no other choice but to go to the roof and save ourselves. Everything and everyone was soaked.
The rain finally stopped at evening. But I could still hear crying and wailing. Men from the Philippine Army came to our rescue, and we sought refuge in the nearby school. We are still living here up to this day.
Mom, I hate to say this, but my family and I desperately need help, particularly food, drinking water, and clothes. The scenery here is not the same as it was before. We wish we could be there with you in Dumaguete but the weather is still bad. Another typhoon, Pepeng, is still to come. Ondoy, Pepeng, what could be next?
I just really hope we will really get over this nightmare. I know that after this, everything will be back to normal, but the question is: when will that day come?
Your son,
Raffy
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment